What I’m thinking about today:
1.AKHIA is on Pinterest
2.Batman and Superman
3.Cheerios does it again
4.Tide Pods packaging gets a makeover
1. Things are about to get ‘Pinteresting’
In case you can’t get enough of AKHIA, we are officially launching our Pinterest page this week. If you have a minute go check us out for news about the agency, yes, but also a flavor of the personalities that make up our culture and AKHIA one of the top 100 workplaces. Trust me, this group has some very diverse interests so there is a little something for everyone!
2. Batman and Superman. Well, it is finally happening. Warner Bros. announced at Comic Con there will be a Batman / Superman movie in 2015. The speculation is that it will be a precursor to the Justice League movie, which Warner Bros. is also working on. You have to see the actual announcement, featuring Harry Lennix, reading an excerpt from the 1989 Dark Knight Returns comic from Frank Miller.
The reading, the mad cheering from the audience, the stage going black…and then being lit back up with this…it gives you goosebumps. I think I’m happy about this. I do have a few concerns though:
- Snyder v. Nolan. I would’ve felt a lot better if Nolan was leading this (as of now he’s collaborating with Snyder and David S. Goyer). I’m more of a Batman fan so I’m biased but I think Nolan puts more time into the details of the story around the primary character (v. just cheap thrills around the alter ego).
- Is there a big enough villain? I think they’ll have to go big. Way big. Maybe the alternate universe Lex Luthor created? Maybe a super villain pairing? Maybe a new Joker?
- Reboots. I hope they don’t reboot Batman’s story in this – I’d prefer they keep the vibe of the Dark Knight. Maybe this could take place between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, especially if they bring back The Joker.
No matter what, this will be a hot story. All we have to do is wait two years.
3. Just checking. Yep, Cheerios is still the same. A lot was made over the Cheerios ‘Just Checking’ ad featuring an interracial couple which led Cheerios to disable its YouTube page’s comments. So, Cheerios did just what they should’ve with its next ad – ignored the noise and just made another awesome ad that ties to the brand perfectly. It’s as if Don Draper pitched and wrote this himself as the ad clearly says, Cheerios is just part of our lives, from one generation to the next.
4. Tide Pods – they’re delicious. Well, they look delicious. To children. And as a result, Tide has now released new packaging. I never thought of this or was even aware of it but the Tide Pods – and all laundry pods for that matter – look like candy to kids. Curiosity led them to take a bite and get pretty sick. In fact, there were more than 6,000 cases reported to poison control in 2012.
Tide immediately changed its packaging to feature a double latch lid, making it harder for kids to open. But kids kept chowing down. Now, Tide is launching a new package all together – gone is the clear ‘candy bowl’ look, replaced with an opaque orange so kids can’t see the ‘yummy’ pods inside. According to the article, Tide is also giving away safety latches to help childproof consumers’ homes.
I give Tide credit – responsibility and accountability dictated a significant change to what was a very recognizable product. The company embraced its role in the process and took the position of leadership to better control the message and the outcome. (While raising awareness in the meantime…speaking of which, I need to go double check that everything is out of reach in my laundry room!)